Gadsden State Community College
eLearning Acceptable Use Policy
- Acceptable Use - The use of computers and the Internet at Gadsden State Community College for eLearning must be in support of education and research and consistent with the educational objectives as stated in the college catalog. Use of other organization's networks or computing resources must comply with the rules appropriate for that network. Transmission of any material in violation of any US or state regulation is prohibited. This includes, but is not limited to: copyrighted material, threatening or obscene material, or material protected by trade secret. Use for commercial activities by for-profit institutions is generally not acceptable. Use for product advertisement or political lobbying is also prohibited.
- Privileges - The use of computers and the Internet is a privilege, not a right, and inappropriate use will result in a cancellation of those privileges. The system administrators will deem what is inappropriate use and their decision is final. Also, the system administrators may disconnect the Internet at any time as required. The administration, faculty, and staff of Gadsden State Community College may request the system administrator to deny access at any time.
- Netiquette - Persons who use technology are expected to abide by the generally accepted rules of network etiquette. These include (but are not limited to) the following: Be polite. Do not get abusive in your messages to others. Use appropriate language. Do not swear, use vulgarities or any other inappropriate language. Illegal activities are strictly forbidden. Do not reveal your personal address or phone number or those of faculty, staff, students or colleagues. Note that electronic mail (e-mail) is not guaranteed to be private. People who operate the system do have access to all mail. Messages relating to or in support of illegal activities may be reported to the authorities. Do not use the network in such a way that you would disrupt the use of the network by other users. All communications and information accessible via the network should be assumed to be private property.
- Gadsden State Community College makes no warranties of any kind, whether expressed or implied, for the service it is providing. Gadsden State Community College will not be responsible for any damages suffered. This includes loss of data resulting from delays, non-deliveries, misdeliveries, or service interruptions caused by negligence, errors, or omissions. Use of any information obtained via Web Pages is at your own risk. Gadsden State Community College specifically denies any responsibility for the accuracy or quality of information obtained through its services.
- Security - Security on any computer system is a high priority, especially when the system involves many users. If you feel you can identify a security problem on any campus computer, you must notify a system administrator or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org. Do not demonstrate the problem to other users. Attempts to open emails where viruses are contained should be reported to the administrator of the lab. Any user identified as a security risk or having a history of problems with other computer systems may be denied access to all computer labs.
- Vandalism - Vandalism will result in cancellation of privileges. Vandalism is defined as any malicious attempt to harm or destroy data of another user, or other networks that are connected to Gadsden State Community College, or the Internet backbone. This includes, but is not limited to, the uploading or creation of computer viruses.
- Updating Your User Information - Gadsden State Community College may occasionally require new student information. The college is attempting to acquire student email addresses. If you have not updated your account information with the Registrar’s office, please do so.
- Privacy - Gadsden State Community College reserves the right to make your E-mail address publicly available.
- Copyright and Other Legal Issues - please read Gadsden State Community College's Legal Issues Webpage.
- Exception of Terms and Conditions - All terms and conditions as stated in this document are applicable to all students, faculty and staff. These terms and conditions reflect the entire agreement of the parties and supersedes all prior oral or written agreements and understandings of the parties. These terms and conditions shall be governed and interpreted in accordance with the laws of the State of Alabama, United States of America. I understand and will abide by the above Terms and Conditions for use of Gadsden State Community College’s computer labs and Internet services. I further understand that violation of the regulations above is unethical and may constitute a criminal offense. Should I commit any violation my access privileges may be revoked and university disciplinary action and/or appropriate legal action may be taken.