Mission of the Gadsden State Community College Library System
| Gadsden State Community College provides a wide range of support services that enable students to function in a collegiate environment and make decisions appropriate to both their personal and education goals. The GSCC libraries provide students of varied backgrounds and abilities with the instructional resources that will ensure achievement of their educational goals.
Each library provides a variety of services to support and expand the instructional capabilities of the College. The Libraries are an integral part of the college's process of improvement of instruction.
The primary purpose of the Libraries of Gadsden State Community College is to promote learning through the instructional programs of the College. The Library System includes essential and basic library and media services. Gadsden State Community College ensures that students and faculty have access to the primary and secondary materials needed to support its purposes and programs. With the needs of the user in mind, the Libraries are committed to
- acquiring, processing, producing, and maintaining a variety of media, print and non-print, and equipment related to their use;
- to making this media and related equipment easily accessible;
- to providing the necessary assistance in the effective utilization of all media and equipment;
- to evaluating its services regularly and systematically.
- GSCC Library System will develop and maintain with the involvement of the faculty and administration a high quality print and non-print collection sufficient in scope and currency which supports the instructional program of Gadsden State Community College as well as the informational needs of students and faculty.
- GSCC Library System will provide the necessary assistance, i.e. instruction and guidance, to users of the Library in effective utilization of all media and equipment.
- GSCC Library System will provide professional and technical assistance on a limited basis for the production of high quality audiovisual media which support the instructional programs of Gadsden State.
- GSCC Library System will expand services to all Gadsden State Community College campuses where need has been determined.
Library Bill of Rights
- Books and other library resources should be provided for the interest, information, and enlightenment of all people of the community the library serves.
- Materials should not be excluded because of the origin, background, or views of those contributing to their creation.
- Libraries should provide materials and information presenting all points of view on current and historical issues. Materials should not be proscribed or removed because of partisan or doctrinal disapproval.
- Libraries should challenge censorship in the fulfillment of their responsibility to provide information and free access to ideas.
- Libraries should cooperate with all persons or groups concerned with resisting abridgment of free expression and free access to ideas.
- A person's right to use a library should not be denied or abridged because of origin, age, background, or views.
- Libraries which make exhibit spaces and meeting rooms available to the public they serve should make such facilities available on an equitable basis, regardless of the beliefs or affiliations of individuals or groups requesting their use.