Gadsden State Community College
Alabama Language Institute
Course of Study
The courses offered by Alabama Language Institute provide practice in all four major language skills: reading, writing, listening, and speaking. Students are given a computerized placement test during the orientation of the student's first term and are then placed into the appropriate course level according to scores on the
Compass ESL Placement Test.
The institute offers two 16-week term, one each in the fall and spring and a summer semester, which has one 10-week term.
|Level 1/2: Beginning||Level 3/4: Intermediate||Level 5/6: Advanced||Credit Hours|
- The above are the courses that a student must take to be enrolled in Alabama Language Institute.
- Three credit hours per course for grammar, reading/vocabulary, conversation, composition, pronunciation, and TOEFL preparation. The directed language lab is a non-credit class but a student must attend lab for three hours per week to satisfy the F1 student visa regulation.
- F1 Visa (Student Visa): A student must take 18 hours (six courses) per semester. The hours are necessary to maintain student status.
- Other Visas: A student may take less than 18 hours but your choice of classes must come form the core courses.
- All Alabama Language Institute courses are considered pre-college courses. ALI grade point average will not be included in the student's grade point average for future college courses. However, your grades will appear on the student's GSCC transcript.
Below is a sample student schedule for a week. Not all schedules will be the same.
Schedule of Classes
|1:30-2:45||Directed Lab||Pronunciation 1||Directed Lab||Pronunciation 1|
|1:30-2:45||TOEFL Prep||TOEFL Prep|
|3:00-4:15||Pronunciation 2||Pronunciation 2|