Choose your direction at Gadsden State! Apply Now!

Gadsden State Community College

Current Students

Financial Aid


Federal Work Study Program Information


The Federal Work Study (FWS) program is federally funded and available to qualified students who demonstrate financial need and are enrolled for classes the semester they are interested in working.  Students are employed approximately 15 hours per week for at least minimum wage and are paid monthly.  Funds for this program are limited, and a few FWS community service opportunities are available.

Steps to Apply

Any student interested in applying for a FWS position must:

  • Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) to determine financial need.
  • Satisfy all Financial Aid requirements listed on Banner.
  • Be enrolled in classes for the semester you are interested in working.
  • Meet Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) requirements.
  • FWS applications will be accepted beginning July 1st of each school year.

Once eligibility is established, a determination of remaining need is completed by the Financial Aid Office to ascertain the number of hours eligible to work each week.

Applicants must meet the requirements of the available position and be interviewed by the department supervisor. Applicants will be selected based on their skills and availability for the positions. Jobs are awarded first to returning FWS students. Consideration for any open positions are then awarded on a first come, first serve need basis.

Applications can be e-mailed, faxed or mailed to the Financial Aid Office.


What is Federal Work-Study?

The Federal Work-Study Program provides part-time jobs for students with financial need, allowing students to earn money to help pay educational expenses. The program encourages community service work and work related to fields of study.

When I am hired, what are my responsibilities?

Review the work study student regulations.

How much will I make?

Your hourly wage will be at least the current federal minimum wage. Currently, the hourly wage is $8.50 per hour for on-campus positions.

When will I get paid?

Students will be paid at the end of each month.  All student-employees are required to have payroll checks directly deposited.  Student-employees will be given a payroll calendar when hired that will show the actual date of direct deposit.

Are Federal Work-Study jobs on campus or off campus?

Both. If you work on campus, you will work in one of the departments at Gadsden State Community College.  If you work off campus, your employer will typically be a nonprofit organization or a public agency, such as the Red Cross.

May I work in two offices at the same time?

No. Federal work-study students can work in only one department at a time.

How many hours may I work?

This will be determined once hired based on remaining need and the departmental needs. The FWS contract will have the assigned department, rate of pay, number of hours eligible to work and the length of the contract. You and your supervisor will determine your work schedule, taking your class schedule into consideration. Students typically work between 8 to 15 hours per week.

When may I work?

Students can work only during the dates listed on the contract. Students cannot work when the campus is closed or during scheduled class times.


Who would I need to talk to about applying for a work-study position?

Susan Smith for any of the Gadsden campuses

Sandra Rudolph for the Ayers and McClellan campuses

Donnette Campbell for the Cherokee center



Statement of Nondiscrimination

It is the official policy of the Alabama State Board of Education and Gadsden State Community College, a postsecondary institution under its control, that no person shall, on the grounds of race, color, disability, sex, religion, creed, national origin, or age, be excluded from participation in, be denied benefits of, or be subjected to discrimination under any of its programs, activities, or employment. Inquiries related to this policy may be directed to Michele Bradford, Director of Legal Affairs, Gadsden State Community College, Joe Ford Center, P.O. Box 227, Gadsden, AL 35902-0227; telephone 256.439.6822; fax 256.439.6812; e-mail