Respondus LockDown Browser & Monitor
Respondus LockDown Browser™ is a secure browser for taking exams in Blackboard. It prevents you from printing, copying, going to another URL, or accessing other applications during an assessment. If a Blackboard exam requires that Respondus LockDown Browser be used, the exam won't be accessible with a standard web browser.
Respondus LockDown Browser should only be used for taking examinations in Blackboard. It should not be used in other areas of Blackboard.
Respondus Monitor™ is a companion product for LockDown Browser that enables institutions to protect the integrity of non-proctored, online exams. Students use their own computer and a webcam to record assessment sessions, all without leaving the institution's learning management system.
The Google Chrome based Respondus LockDown Browser is now available for download! A new install is the only way to get the new version as of right now. To install, access our Gadsden State Respondus LockDown browser link here. Follow the on-screen instructions to download and install the new Google Chrome based version of Respondus LockDown Browser. NOTE: The Google Chrome browser does not have to be installed on the computer to use the Chrome based version of Respondus LockDown Browser.
Get Respondus Lockdown Browser
To download and install Respondus LockDown Browser, click the icon below:
If the download does not begin after clicking on the icon, click following URL: http://www.respondus.com/lockdown/information.pl?ID=276915224. If you have difficulty, please read the user guides below or contact Derrick Griffey or Brandy Gilchrist in the Teaching & Learning Center.
Respondus LockDown Browser provides a custom interface for the Internet Explorer (Windows) or Safari (Macintosh) software that is already installed on the computer. It does not modify an existing copy of Internet Explorer or Safari, but rather, installs a separate program that will display a custom browser when it is started. Respondus LockDown Browser uses the same security features and service packs that are currently installed for Internet Explorer or Safari. Installing Respondus LockDown Browser will not modify your current version of Internet Explorer or Safari in any way.
Follow the on-screen instructions to download and install the correct version of Respondus LockDown Browser for your computer.
Once installed, follow these steps to start Respondus LockDown Browser and to take a Blackboard exam:
- Close all programs, unless one is used to connect you to the Internet.
- Start Respondus LockDown Browser.
- (For Windows user locate the "LockDown Browser" shortcut on the desktop and double click it. Alternatively, click "Start" in Windows, select "Programs", select "Respondus", and then click "Respondus LockDown Browser".)
- (For Macintosh users, launch "LockDown Browser" from the Applications folder.)
- Upon starting, the browser will go to the login page for Blackboard.
- (A warning message may appear indicating that one or more applications must first be exited, such as instant messaging application. The browser will offer to close the applications for the user. Alternatively, the browser can be exited and the blocked application can be closed manually before restarting the browser.)
- Log into Blackboard by entering your User ID and Password. Select the appropriate course and then select the exam.
- If your instructor requires a test password, a new window will appear asking for the Exam Password. Enter the password and click Begin Exam.
- The test will then start.
- (Note: once a test has been started using Respondus LockDown Browser, you cannot exit until the Submit button is clicked.
Respondus User Guides
iPad Edition Guide
Screen Reader Guide