Choose your direction at Gadsden State! Apply Now!

Gadsden State Community College

Faculty & Staff

Nondiscrimination Policy

It is the official policy of the Alabama Department of Postsecondary Education and Gadsden State Community College that no person in Alabama shall on the grounds of race, color, disability, sex, religion, creed, national origin, or age, be excluded from participation, be denied the benefits of, or be subjected to discrimination under any program, activity, or employment. The College complies with nondiscriminatory regulations under Title VI and Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964; Title IX Education Amendment of 1972; Section 504 Rehabilitation Act of 1973; and the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) of 1990.


Procedures for Making Application

Some forms require the Adobe Acrobat Reader to view or print.
Download the latest version here.

Whether you are a first-time freshman, a transfer student, a transient student, an early-admission (accelerated) student, dual enrollment student, a re-admission student, a special student or a senior adult student, you must be admitted to the college.

  1. Complete and submit the Online Gadsden State Application for Admission.
  2. Bring the signed Signature Form to the Gadsden, McClellan, Ayers or Cherokee campus, fax to 256.549.8466, or email to
  3. Provide proof of U.S. Citizenship or Resident Alien Status as required by the Alabama State Board of Education: may Bring the proof of U.S. Citizenship or Resident Alien Status to the Gadsden, McClellan, Ayers or Cherokee campus, or email to

Even if you are admitted to Gadsden State, you will have to satisfy additional admission requirements if applying for any health-related program, or court reporting program.


First-Time Freshmen

First-Time Freshmen have completed high school or equivalent but have never attended college. To be admitted as a first-time freshman, you must:

  1. Must have graduated high school and must request an offical transcript and ensure that your high school mail it directly to Gadsden State Admissions Office.
  2. If you did not complete high school, you must present your scores earned on the General Education Development Test (GED). An official copy of these scores must be mailed from your test site to Gadsden State Admissions Office.  

If you wish to enter certain technical programs, you may be allowed to submit alternative evidence of your readiness for undertaking such programs, such as results of performance tests, two-plus-two agreements between Gadsden State and your vocational high school.

Even if you cannot meet the requirements listed above, you may be admitted into certain Gadsden State certificate programs, but only if you are at least 17 years old and have been out of school at least one calendar year (or upon the recommendation of the local superintendent) and have specifically documented ability-to-benefit. In addition, you may be allowed to enroll in such "institutional credit only" courses as developmental English, Mathematics and Reading.


Transfer Students
Transfer Students have attended one or more colleges or universities other than Gadsden State but wish to continue their education at Gadsden State. To transfer, you must request your high school transcript and each college and/or university that you previously attended to mail directly to Gadsden State Admissions Office an official transcript of all the college-level course work that you attempted elsewhere. If you have completed a baccalaureate degree, however, you must request an official transcript be mailed only from the institution that granted you the degree.

You will receive credit for only those transfer courses in which you earned passing grades. If your cumulative grade point average is lower than 2.00 on a 4.00 scale, you will be admitted only on academic probation and will be subject to Gadsden State probation and suspension policies applicable to returning students. If you come to Gadsden State on academic suspension, on disciplinary suspension, or a dismissal from another college, you must appeal to Gadsden State Admissions Committee for admission.


Transient Students

Transient Students are like Transfer Students except that they wish to enroll in Gadsden State courses for just a semester, fully intending to return to their previous college or university to complete their studies.

If you are a transient student seeking admission for one semester, you must see that the Registrar of the college where you are regularly (permanently) enrolled sends a transient letter to our Admissions office on your behalf.


Early-Admission Students

Early-Admission Students(also referred to as Accelerated Students) are high school students who have been approved by their high school administration to enroll in Gadsden State courses while they are still attending high school.

To be admitted for enrollment at Gadsden State while still a high school student, you must:

  1. Meet the admission requirements of Gadsden State;
  2. Have successfully completed 10th grade with a "B" average;
  3. Have completed the high school prerequisites (for example: a student may not enroll for English Composition until all high school English courses have been completed); and
  4. Download the Accelerated Student Form and have your high school principal or his/her designee sign to recommend you for college-level studies.

You also must see that all documents specified above are submitted to the Admissions Office at the East Broad Campus, in Gadsden, AL.


Dual-Enrollment Students
Dual-Enrollment Students are high school students who have been approved to enroll for dual credit (college and high school) in a Gadsden State course while they are still attending high school. To be admitted for enrollment at Gadsden State as a Dual-Enrollment Student, you must:
  1. Meet the admission requirements of Gadsden State;
  2. Gadsden State must have a signed agreement with the school system;
  3. Have completed ninth grade with a "B" average;
  4. Download the Dual Enrollment Form.
  5. and have both the high school principal and the local superintendent of education sign the form.
Returning Students

Returning Students either were previously admitted to Gadsden State but never enrolled or were once enrolled in Gadsden State courses but have not attended for one or more semesters (excluding summer semester) since their last attendance.

Directions for application

  1. Complete the online Re-Admit form, which you will find under "Apply Now" on the homepage.
  2. If you have attended other colleges since you were enrolled at Gadsden State, you will need to request that official copies be sent to the admissions office.

If a returning student, you may also be required to complete a new application for admission; and if your original file needs updating, you may be required to submit additional documentation. If you have attended one or more colleges and/or universities since your original admission to Gadsden State, you must arrange for an official transcript from each institution to be mailed to Gadsden State Admissions Office.


Special Students

Special Students are students who desire to take courses, but who do not intend to fulfill requirements for a degree.

Special Students must comply with same requirements as first-time freshmen or transfer students. Special students are limited to five (5) hours per semester.


Senior Adult Students

Senior Adult Students are students who qualify for tuition assistance scholarships because they are 60 years of age or older. If a senior adult student, you must complete the same documents required of first-time freshmen and transfer students. A State Board of Education ruling prevents enrollment of seniors by community colleges in the same tuition assistance courses for more than one semester for each course.