The phlebotomy training program consists of one course, MLT 100: Phlebotomy, which is a 2 credit hour course. The course consists of 15 hours of lecture and 45 hours of clinical experience in the student laboratory/hospital setting. The course can be completed in six weeks or less.
Upon successful completion of the Phlebotomy Training Course, the student will be able to:
1. Identify a patient correctly prior to a blood sample collection.
2. Collect blood using proper technique by venipuncture or capillary puncture.
3. Select the proper specimen container(s) for the specified test(s).
4. Label the specimens correctly with the required information.
5. Transport the specimens to the laboratory using appropriate procedures and in a timely manner.
6. Process specimens for delivery to appropriate departments.
7. Operate the computer effectively in the laboratory for record keeping pertaining to phlebotomy.
8. Observe all safety regulations
9. Demonstrate professional conduct and interpersonal skills with patients, laboratory personnel, other health-care professional and with the public.
10. Recognize the responsibilities of other laboratory personnel and other health-
care personnel and to interact with them with respect for their responsibilities
and for patient care.
11. Recognize and act upon individual needs for continuing education as a
function of growth and maintenance of professional competence.
12. Respect patient confidentiality and maintain professional conduct in a
culturally diverse environment.
As a Phlebotomy student, you will be expected to comply not only with Gadsden State Community College policies but also with special policies, rules, and expectations of behavior prescribed for Phlebotomy students (i.e. the policies, procedures, and rules of behavior of the agencies from which you obtain clinical education experiences).
NOTICE: Failure to comply with any of the listed stipulations constitutes grounds for suspension from the program, regardless of your academic standing. If the Dean for Health Sciences upholds your suspension, you will receive a grade of "F" for the Phlebotomy Training Program from which you were dismissed.