TESTING EXEMPTIONS AND
COURSE PLACEMENT SCORE CHARTS
All incoming new, transferring, or dual-enrolling students are required to take an assessment test to determine English and math course placement, unless certain criteria apply. Please review the testing guidelines below to determine if you qualify for Accuplacer placement test exemptions; however, please be aware that some health science programs require assessment testing even if you meet exemptions. Questions or clarifications regarding testing requirements should be referred to the Gadsden State admissions office.
Students who meet one or more of the following criteria are exempt from placement testing:
- those who have an associate degree or higher (and meet criteria #2);
- those who transfer degree-creditable, college-level English or mathematics courses in which they earned a grade of "C" or better;
- those enrolling for personal enrichment purposes only:
- those enrolling in short certificate programs having no English, reading or mathematics requirements;
- those who have completed required developmental coursework at another Alabama Community College System institution within the last three years;
- those enrolling to audit a course;
- those who can provide documentation of assessment by the Accuplacer and/or Compass placement tests within the last three years; and
- those who are transient students.
Students who attain pre-defined ACT, SAT, or GED scores within three years of enrollment are exempt from placement testing. Please CLICK HERE to refer to the score reference chart.
Students who take all or part of the Accuplacer placement test should click below to view scores and associated course placement: