New, transferring, currently enrolled or dual-enrolling students may be exempt from all or part of the placement test. All students should consult with their assigned advisor for assistance in making the determination of whether or not to test, based on transcripts and major. Questions or clarifications regarding testing requirements should be referred to your advisor or the Gadsden State admissions office. Note: New or newly readmitted applicants to Gadsden State will receieve an email from Admissions listing their advisor's contact information once ALL required admissions documentation is received, i.e., transcripts, copy of appropriate ID, signed Signature page.
Students who meet one or more of the following criteria are exempt from placement testing:
- those who have an associate degree or higher (and meet criteria #2);
- those who transfer degree-creditable, college-level English or mathematics courses in which they earned a grade of "C" or better;
- those who have taken ACT within five years and earned a 17 or greater on sections ACT English and/or ACT Math;
- those who are within five years of H.S. graduation, earned a 2.75 or greater GPA AND earned a C or better in English IV or greater and/or Algebra II or greater (Algebra II w/ Finance not applicable);
- those enrolling for personal enrichment purposes only:
- those enrolling in short certificate programs having no English or mathematics course requirements;
- those who have completed required developmental coursework at another Alabama Community College System institution within the last three years;
- those enrolling to audit a course;
- those who can provide documentation of assessment by the Accuplacer placement test within the last five years; and
- those who are transient students.