As the oldest English Language Institute in the Southeast U.S., the Alabama Language Institute (ALI) has a tradition of helping students improve their English in order to meet their individual goals. Whether you plan to attend college at Gadsden State Community College, apply to a 4-year university or expand your career opportunities, we are here to help you!
Experienced English as a Second Language (ESL) Instructors
Our instructors have more than 75 years of combined teaching experience and all have earned Master’s Degrees in the field of ESL Teaching/TESOL. They have all traveled, lived and worked abroad in various international settings. While English is their first language, they all have spent time learning other languages, so they are familiar with the language-learning process from the student’s point of view.
Technology in the Classroom
Each of our ALI classrooms are equipped with a large ClearTouch screen, which allows easy access to the internet for images, video and learning apps. Having WiFi in the classroom makes learning English more interactive and fun for our students. Students also have access to our Language Lab, which houses computers equipped with language learning software.
The Alabama Language Institute offers smaller class sizes than larger schools, meaning students can find more personal attention and one-on-one time with instructors. This can be a benefit for students who like to learn at their own pace and ask plenty of questions as they go. ALI instructors are available to meet individually with students during the week, as needed. Our instructors also meet with students to advise them on classes and make sure they are on track to meet their individual goals.
English Immersion Activities
Alabama Language Institute classes meet from Monday – Thursday, and Fridays are open for cultural activities, such as barbecue cookouts, game nights and field trips. We encourage our students to take advantage of these opportunities to practice their English, interact with Americans, and learn about the culture of the local area. Some examples of trips and events include: U.S. Space and Rocket Center in Huntsville, Alabama; CNN, the Georgia Aquarium, and the World of Coca-Cola in Atlanta, Georgia, and the Civil Rights Institute in Birmingham, Alabama. We plan one major field trip each semester: Washington, D.C. (Fall) and Walt Disney World in Orlando, Florida (Spring).
Alabama Language Institute Goals
- To help students gain a functional command of English in order to prepare for a successful academic experience in a U.S. college or university
- To help students obtain an adequate score on the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL)
- To help students improve English language skills for professionals in the workplace
- To provide a nurturing environment conducive to learning and where students can reach their full potential
- To internationalize the larger institution and promote cultural diversity of Gadsden State
- To encourage students, as citizens of the world, to respect and appreciate countries and cultures different from their own; therefore, they play a role in promoting peace and understanding in the world