Alabama Language Institute's Mission Statement:
Using modern technology and a variety of classroom teaching methods, Alabama Language Institute aims to
- Prepare students for a successful academic experience in a U.S. college or university.
- Help students obtain an adequate score on the TOEFL.
- Improve English language skills for professionals in the workplace.
- Provide a nurturing environment conducive to learning.
- Internationalize the larger institution and promote the cultural diversity of the campus.
- Encourage students to respect cultures different from their own and play a role in promoting peace and understanding in the world.
- Started in 1973.
- First language institute in Alabama.
- Only Intensive English Program at a community college in Alabama.
- Recognized as the oldest in the Southeast by National Association of Foreign Student Advisors (NAFSA).
- Low Cost
- Small Class Size
- Individual Attention
- Longevity and Experience
- 1st Language Diversity in Student Population
ALI programming usually also includes:
- Student Advising (Required Twice Per Semester)
- Cultural Workshops
- Conversation Partners
- Field trips
- Practice TOEFL Exams
- International Education Week (Fall)
- International Festival (Spring)
ALI courses provide practice in all four major language skills: reading, writing, listening and speaking. Students are given a computerized placement test, interview and written diagnostic during the student’s first term and are then placed into the appropriate level according to scores on the ESL Placement test.
ALI Contact Information: 256-549-8389
|Level 1/2: Beginning||Level 3/4: Intermediate||Level 5/6: Advanced||Credit Hours|
|Vocabulary 1||Vocabulary 2||Vocabulary 3||3|
|Pronunciation 1||Pronunciation 2||TOEFL Strategies||3|
|8 a.m. - 9:15 a.m.||Pronunciation||Pronunciation|
|9:30 a.m. - 10:45 a.m.||Reading||Speaking/Listening||Reading||Speaking/Listening|
|11 a.m. - 12:15 p.m.||Composition||Grammar||Composition||Grammar|
|12:15 p.m. - 1:15 p.m.||Lunch||Lunch||Lunch||Lunch|
|1:30 p.m. - 2:45 p.m.||Vocabulary||Vocabulary|
Estimated Expenses for Alabama Language Institute
(1 Semester = 16 weeks)
|Estimated ALI Expenses||Fall Semester
(Aug. 22, 2022 – Dec. 20, 2023)
(Jan. 9, 2023 – May 11, 2023)
(May 31, 2023 – Aug. 9, 2023)
1. Tuition (18 credit hours at $291 per credit hour)*
|2. Books and supplies**||$ 350||$ 350||$ 350|
|3. Medical Insurance||
|4. Room and board****||$2,400||$2,400||$1,500|
|One time dorm deposit||$ 200||$ 200||$ 200|
Estimated cost for 2 semesters: $17,204 ($200 dorm deposit is one time only) (June-August not included).
Personal spending varies, but $225 per month is average.
Explanation of expenses for each item listed above:
- Core curriculum program: 18 hours per week of class. Cost per one (1) credit hour is $291.
This is an estimated amount.
- Insurance coverage is required during the entire year.
- Cost of medical insurance per year is $1,312. Fall Semester is $514, Spring Semester is $514 and Summer Semester is $284.
- Eyeglasses/dental services are not covered by medical insurance.
- A one-time refundable deposit of $200 is required if staying in the Residence Hall.
- Cafeteria is open for breakfast, lunch, and dinner from Monday through Friday and closed weekends and holidays. Transportation off campus is provided on these days.
- Summer Semester (10 weeks) room and board fees are $1,500.
- NOTE: Students are required to be out of the dorm during the Thanksgiving and Winter breaks (Nov. 24-26, 2022 and Dec. 22, 2022 - Jan. 2, 2023)
NOTE: Additional expenses include expenses between semesters and on holidays, clothes, laundry, and personal needs. If the student lives off-campus and/or purchases a car, additional expenses will exceed the average.
Room and board is not guaranteed until paid in full. Tuition and medical insurance must be paid in full at the time of registration. These expenses can be paid by money order, cash, credit card (Visa, Master Card or American Express), traveler’s checks, or by a cashier’s check from a U.S. bank or institution, or wire transfer.
TUITION AND FEES ARE SUBJECT TO CHANGE WITHOUT PRIOR NOTICE