Advisors are assigned to students according to the selected program of study and are able to help students understand requirements, make course selections and complete scheduling planning. When a major is the selected, the student will be assigned to an advisor.
Enrollment Advisement – See an enrollment specialist before starting the first semester. They will help transition from an admitted student to an enrolled student. Enrollment specialists assist in finalizing the admissions process, navigate student logins, understand placement requirements, identify your faculty advisor and plan the next steps toward getting started for the first semester.
Faculty Advisement – Students should seek faculty advisement before registration opens each semester to plan classes, discuss education goals and prepare for graduation or transfer. Faculty advisors help students understand course placement, select classes, explore career options and plan a course of student. Faculty advisors assist with graduation and transfer planning as well as offer advice on course forgiveness, academic bankruptcy and selective program admissions.
Secondary Advisement – Students taking one or more development courses will be assigned to a secondary advisor through the Advisement Resource Center. Secondary advisors ensure students know how and where to get academic support for continued success.
Advisors can assist students with understanding course placement:
- Placement is required prior to registration in certain courses such as Math and English.
- Placement is determined using students’ evaluated high school transcript, appropriate ACT scores or ACCUPLACER Placement Test results.
- All scores must be no more than five years old.
- The ACCUPLACER may be taken and used for placement if high school transcripts/ACT scores are not sufficient or older than five years.
- ACCUPLACER is given by appointment only and may be scheduled here.
Be sure to set up an advising appointment by email or phone. Drop-in advisement cannot be guaranteed. Use the list below to contact your area of interest to request an advisor be assigned:
- Business | 256.549.8250 | firstname.lastname@example.org
- Language & Humanities | 256.549.8278 | email@example.com
- Computer Science | 256.549.8250 | firstname.lastname@example.org
- Math & Engineering | 256.549.8322 | email@example.com
- Fine Arts | 256.549.8278 | firstname.lastname@example.org
- Science | 256.549.8280 | email@example.com
- Health Science Programs | 256.549.8320 | firstname.lastname@example.org
- Social Science | 256.549.8322 | email@example.com
- Health, PE & Recreation | 256.549.8310 | firstname.lastname@example.org
- Technical Programs | 256.549.8643/Gadsden | email@example.com
- 256-832-1221/Ayers (Anniston) | firstname.lastname@example.org
Area of interest not listed? Contact Enrollment Services at 256-549-8305 or email@example.com