Federal and State Grant Programs

There are a number of federal and state programs available to assist in paying tuition, books and fees for eligible students, including the Federal Pell Grant, Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant, Federal Work-Study Program and Alabama Student Assistance Grant Program.

Complete the FAFSA


A Federal Pell Grant does not have to be repaid, unlike a traditional loan. Pell Grants are awarded only to undergraduate students who have not earned a bachelor’s or professional degree, which is usually obtained after a bachelor’s degree in a field such as medicine, law or dentistry.

Federal Pell Grant funds provide a foundation of financial aid to which other sources of aid may be added. The amount of a Pell Grant is based on a family’s financial circumstances as determined by the Department of Education through FAFSA. The maximum award is currently $6,195 per year and is based on financial need, enrollment status, programs of study and attendance. A student who is eligible for Year Round Pell could receive an additional $3,098. NOTE: To be eligible for Year Round Pell, a student must enroll/attend at least half time and meet all other eligibility requirements. 

Students are encouraged to apply early. Make a request for an FSA ID on FAFSA.gov. If you are a dependent student (under 24 years old and not married), at least one of your parents must request the FSA ID. The student and parent must have a valid email address to request an FSA ID.

The Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant is designed to assist students with exceptional unmet needs as determined by FAFSA information and cost of attendance at Gadsden State. Students must complete the FAFSA to apply for the FSEOG. This fund is limited and varies from year to year. The amount of money Gadsden State receives determines the number of awards that are offered. Students must be eligible for the Pell Grant and have remaining unmet needs. Priority is given to students who have no expected family contribution number. To be awarded FSEOG funds, a student must be in good standing with Satisfactory Academic Progress

Students who are selected for the Federal Work-Study program must be eligible for Federal Pell Grant and enrolled at least part-time (six hours). The number of hours a student may work per week is determined by the available funding. The pay scale is based on the prevailing federal minimum hourly wage. To apply, students must complete the FAFSA and a Gadsden State College Application for Federal Work-Study to determine eligibility. Priority is given to those who apply early. To be eligible for these funds, the student must be in good standing with SAP. All work-study students must also follow a list of regulations and sign a document committing to following those regulations.

Be sure to complete the Federal Work-Study application here.

The Alabama Student Assistance Grant Program is a state student assistance program established Aug. 4, 1978, by the state legislature and designed to provide financial assistance to Alabama residents attending non-profit, postsecondary institutions of higher learning within the state. Any recipient must be an Alabama resident and Pell Grant recipient with remaining unmet needs. Priority is given to students with no expected family contribution number. To be awarded ASAP funds, the student must be in good standing with SAP